Hi all! Here is a quick tutorial on how to do the most common task, posting on our web site. If you have any questions, find an error or want more information please don’t hesitate to let me know! You can email me firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415 370 9092
- LOGING IN
- CREATE A NEW POST
- ADDING PICTURES, MOVIES, AUDIO
- CREATE A GALLERY
- ADDING LINKS TO YOUR POST
- PREVIEW, PUBLISH, SCHEDULE AND UPDATE YOUR POST
In the menu (along the top edge of the site), click “Login”
Then enter your Username and Password. If you haven’t been given a Username, email email@example.com. Once you log in, you will be taken to the Dashboard.
On the left side of the Dashboard, you’ll see a variety of options:
- Jetpack – a variety of services offered by WordPress. These features have been activated, though they mostly only show to the website administrator.
- Posts – This is where you create and edit posts (more on this coming up)
- Projects – Similar to posts, but they are not supported by our website at this time so PLEASE DON’T USE
- Feedback – If you want to create polls or surveys, this is where we can do it. If you are interested, please let James know and he can show you how it all works.
- Profile – change your password, screen name, etc…
- Settings – some backend preferences here, but most of the site settings are available only to the website administrator
- Collapse Menu – just shrinks the left side bar.
Along the top of your screen, you will see the black Toolbar. This Toolbar will show whenever you are logged into the site, even if you are just looking at the blog or site pages. Under the ‘New’ menu, you can create posts (so you don’t have to do it only through the Dashboard).
CREATE A NEW POST
To create a New Post, just go to the ‘Posts’ then ‘Add New’ links on the left side of the Dashboard. If you prefer, you can use the ‘New’ link along the top toolbar, either way will take you to the sam page. The posting process is fairly easy from here :
- Give your post a title in the top text box. This will be the headline for the post and will be in bold. For our email subscribers and Twitter followers, this will be the main subject line. I suggest keeping titles short, relevant and enticing (so the reader dives in)
- In the big text area, just start typing. It’s like pretty much any text editor (Word, Pages, etc…). There are bold, italic, bullet points, left/center/right justification controls and more… There are a few special buttons too, such as, insert/edit link, remove link, insert read more, proofread, and toolbar toggle (which opens and closes another line of buttons). I’ll touch on the ‘Link’ buttons in a minute. If you have questions about anything else, let me know firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are just doing a text post, then you are done! You can choose to hit the Preview button if you want to make sure everything looks good before going public.
- If all looks good, go ahead and hit the Publish button.
If you want to Add Media, like pictures, movies, audio clips… In most modern browsers, you can just drag pictures and such right into the text area, but for older browsers (or just to be more fool proof), you can hit the Add Media button, then you will see:
Just drag files(you can drag one at a time or a bunch at once) right into the window and you’ll see:
Once you drag in your files, whatever you dragged in will be outlined in blue and/or grey, also along the bottom it will show you the images which will be inserted. Just click on an image to select or unselect it:
(On a side note, there are a couple of drop down menus above the media gallery, you can choose to see All Media Items, but sometimes it’s nice to see only what you just Uploaded to This Post)
Along the right of the Media Window are some options.
URL : this is assigned by the website, please don’t mess with it
Title : you can give your picture a title here, but it generally does not show up anywhere except in google searches
Caption : this text will appear under your images/movies in most cases
Alt Text : you can type a short title or description here. It will show up when someone hovers their mouse over the picture or if someone has accessibility tools being used on their computer (like spoken text for the visually impaired)
Alignment : Align the media along the left, center or right. If you choose None, the media may ‘float’ around the text
Link To: This option tells the site what to do when someone clicks on the image. OPTIONS ARE :Media File / Attachment Page – opens the image, movie, audio… in a new tab or window , custom URL – allows you to type in a web page address if you want to redirect the reader there, None – does nothing when clicked.
Size : the size of the image on the page. For the most part, we would want to use Medium or Large to make sure the images are easy to see without being too large for the screen. You will see a Full Size option which will show you how big your image is, as uploaded. If the long side of your Full Size image is less than 1000, you will likely want to use the image at Full Size, Medium or Thumbnail to keep the image looking nice.
In general, I think choosing Alignment : Center Link To : None Size : Large (or Medium) will create the best user experience.
Now just hit the Insert Into Post button.
You can keep typing after your image/media if you like or go ahead and add more images.
If you are just doing a text post, then you are done! You can choose to hit the Preview button if you want to make sure everything looks good before going public.
If all looks good, go ahead and hit the Publish button.
If you are adding a lot of images, or want to add them in columns, you can use the Create Gallery feature. Just click Add Media and drag in your images. New images will be automatically selected, but if you need to add or subtract more for the gallery, just click the images you want. In galleries, anything you type in the Caption section will appear under the image. When you are ready, hit Create Gallery in the upper left.
Now you’ll see the Edit Gallery window. Along the right you can choose how many columns you would like to have and pick a size for the images. Once you have made your choices, hit Insert Gallery.
If you want to create links to web pages inside or outside of our web site, you:
- Highlight any text that you want to make into a link
- Click the Insert/Edit Link button (it looks like a little chain link and is found along with the buttons for bold, italic, etc…)
- Type in the web site address for the link and a title if you like. I think checking the ‘Open Link in new window/tab’ is a good idea so readers can easily come back to our site.
- Hit Add Link
PUBLISHING, PREVIEWING, SCHEDULING, UPDATING
When you are finished with your post, you may want to Preview it before showing it to the world. Hit the Preview button on the upper right of the window to see how your post will look on the site.
If the Preview looks good, go ahead and hit Publish (blue button along the right side of the window).
If the post has already been published but you have made some changes to it, you would hit Update (which will replace the Publish button)
You can also choose to Schedule a post to be published at a specific day and time. Also in the right hand menu, you’ll see Publish Immediately. Hit ‘Edit’ next to that and you can choose when to publish.